Saturday, March 23, 2013

UPCYCLE CHALLENGE: The School Skirt

Hey hey hey, it's Grad season again. (Maybe I shouldn't say "again". It is, after all, my first and last time graduating High School.)

Now, here in the Philippines, a lot of High Schools require uniforms, whether private or not. Just recently my schoolmates found a very interesting piece of Topshop clothing that looks exactly like our uniform's skirt. This got me to thinking: so we aren't very far from being fashown, after all.

My friends/batchmates Corinne and Riva thought about modifying our own school uniforms so that they could be more wearable in public and less harmful to space in our house and the environment. I (used to) have at least four in my closet - one for each weekday, plus a couple of spares from previous years. The material, to be quite honest, is pretty hot and heavy (excuse my language) and isn't your usual casual, go-to kind of cloth. More on that in another post.

This post, however, is about promoting a project - something of a collaboration by girls who DIY not only from our school but from other schools as well.

According to Wikipedia,

Upcycling is the process of converting waste materials or useless products into new materials or products of better quality or for better environmental value.
My first ever Upcycle Challenge focuses on, as you might've deduced from before, school skirts and how versatile they can actually be. Make your school proud and flaunt just how resourceful and creative people from your alma mater come from!

Here's the poster I came up with:


I'm itching to see not only my batchmates' entries but also anyone else who'd like to take up the challenge.

If you want to join this Upcycle Challenge, comment with a link to your blog/Instagram/tweet/etc. post and I'll include it in my UC:TSS master post some time in April, when I'll expect a couple of entries already up. :)

P.S. I'm probably going to keep just one uniform intact, for posterity's sake. Hihi.

No comments:

Post a Comment