Sunday, March 10, 2013

Teen Gods

(For lack of a better title)

Guess what I accidentally stumbled upon yesterday when I settled into Fully Booked after an impromptu Katipunan adventure??? Only the book I've been (until now, UNFRUITFULLY) searching for since my birthday last year!

Yeah, I've been wanting to grab a copy of Mina V. Esguerra's Interim Goddess of Love since, like, forever, but I've only been able to find e-books. I don't even own an e-book reader. I was already prepared to give up hope - Fully Booked Regis, after all, was not the first place I would think carried local fic.

But glory upon glories, as they played THE ENTIRE ALBUM OF MAKING MIRRORS (it's destiny, I tell ya) overhead I found this curiously familiar-looking pocketbook perched on a tiny shelf that had other Filipino books on it. I didn't hesitate to spend my 175 on it.

Golly gosh, was the wait worth it.

Okay. So I've never read Mina V. Esguerra before. To tell you the truth, I'm actually not that into chick lit. I was never a huge fan of first-person rom-com types (blame it on Twilight?). But when I found out about the premise of IGoL (sophomore becomes Goddess of Love because she has a connection to them a la Percy Jackson [demi-god] and she gets to interact with a bevy of other Philippine Gods. Did you hear me correctly? PHILIPPINE GODS.) I fell in love with it immediately and forced myself to make an effort to get my hands on it. Also I started following Mina V. Esguerra on Twitter and on her blog.

When I first read it the exposition seemed a little fast-paced, because, whoa, hot guy suddenly taking interest in new girl? I was scared of Hannah Maquiling turning into a Mary Sue pretty quickly. However, my fears vanished when she started becoming relatable - slowly but surely, she was turning out to be awkward, and inexperienced, and in a way bound by society. Even though there were a ton of guys (read: four) who found her attractive, she didn't make a mention once of how literally attractive she found herself to be, save for the one time she got into one of these guys' heads. Besides, the one guy she really, truly likes doesn't like her back. Totally imperfect, totally great. I love Hannah.

I guess one of the reasons I was so reeled in was the whole Cupid plot thing. I ship everything. Long story short, everyone should read this book. I'm not kidding. Everyone. Even your mom.

To celebrate me finally getting this book, I compiled a playlist. :D


YT Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment