Monday, February 18, 2013

Do What You Love

And I do love to create!

Mood music. (Although to be quite honest it's my least favorite Gotye song, but hey, it's the most fitting one I could dig up. :))

I promised that I'd blog about Graphika Manila 2013, so here it is, fresh out of two weeks of memory. Haha.






Obligatory vanity shot.
We came in at around 9 when the conference started at 10. It didn't start until around 10:30, because the place was packed. Tita Lianne and I waited a good amount of time before we were even ushered to the actual corridor where people registered; here I got a lovely view of the rest of the PICC.






I heard many of my friends were going, but I didn't see anyone before we went in for the convention. I did see Kuya Borg, who sat next to us at the Komikon, but I didn't know he was going.


Graphika Manila opened up with a Daft Punk mash-up and then to James White from Signalnoise. I never knew he was the dude who made the art to Drive, even though I'd seen previews of the speakers on the Internet, hehe. I found that pretty cool.


Next were Devil Robots. They were funny, because they started the "spirit of copying" that became a running joke throughout the rest of the conference.

"James put a Canadian flag on his presentation, so we did this..."
Then Tita Lianne decided to skip the end of the Devil Robots presentation and ate lunch, because we were expecting at least another speaker after that before our Lunch Break. However, they let us out about twenty minutes after she left.

I took a long walk (alone!!) in front of the PICC to the Bayside, where I picked out Sizzling Pepper Steak to probably be the best place then, even if people started packing it up.




I bought Starbucks, finally saw Erk and Julian, then we resumed our pilgrimage back to the PICC. There was a huge line again, now pulling out into the street.


The next presenter was Armand Serrano from Sony Pictures Animation.


Then Ryan Honey from Buck.


But out of all of them, my favorite was Jessica Walsh. She was our last speaker because both Tita Lianne and I had to leave at 5:30, and no way were we going to be able to watch any of the others, sadly.








As evident from the flood above, she had the most quotable slides. Also, I believe she was the only lady to present. I was never really familiar with any of the speakers prior to Graphika Manila, nor am I particularly interested in art direction (yet!), but Jessica's presentation caught my fancy because she had the best points and I learned so much from her.

That was a good first Graphika Manila, I'll tell you that. :)

I really have nothing else to add; Graphika Manila 2013 was really something you should experience for yourself to truly gather anything. Although I was a little sad about not being able to finish my first conference, I was grateful about wrapping it up on such a positive note. 'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment